Now following on the prior post in a more practical vein. Here's a list of web 2.0 things I have used and/or will be using, with brief annotation.
So here are things I have used.
- Typepad for personal and course blogs
- Blogger for free personal student blogs
- PBwiki and Wikispaces for course wikis
- Delicious for sharing links with classes
- iTunesU for sharing secure media
- YouTube and Google Video for more open sharing of video
- Second Life for real-time group activities and exploration
Here's what I'm planning on adopting this year
- Ning to build community between courses
- Microblogging--not sure which app yet. Probably twitter.
- Seesmic--this will depend on the availability of web cams for students, though you can buy one for $30.
Spaces on the sidelines
- Facebook: I added the Courses app. I have friended students in the past. I will converse with students there if they initiate it. However I don't want to invade their space here.
- Flickr: I just haven't done much with sharing photos in my courses.
- Slideshare: this seems like a good option, so it's on my mind.
- Skype: thinking about this for office hours as an option. I usually use IM.